Welcome

About Me

My Website

Favorite Blogs

Art Blogs

The Past

Current Posts

Visitors

Credits

Disclaimer

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Bjugnakraekir.......Sausage-swiper and Gryla and Leppaludi


Bjugnakraekir.....Sausage-swiper is number nine. He will seek high and low to find the sausages that have been hidden from him. Sometimes they are hidden so well, that he can not find them. Today luck was on his side, he found a string of seven.



  Posted by Picasa

Meet Gryla and Leppaludi the Jolasveinar’s parents. Are they not the most charming couple?

Gryla the Jolasveinar’s Mother, is a huge Troll. She is hideous to say the very least. Her nose is big and crooked. She has big warts on her face with wiry hairs sticking out of them, big teeth, some worn down to a stub, shifty eyes, stringy hair and horns on top of her head.
She has enormous bony hands with long sharp nails, her feet a hoofs and she has a long tail.
It was recorded in the 13th Century that she had 15 tails with a 100 sacks on each tail and 20 children in each sack. It makes me shiver just to think about it, and I think and hope, that whoever recorded this story was prone to exaggeration.
Her diet is one that strikes fear in every Icelandic child, she eats naughty children, just like her pet, the Christmas Cat. Oh! the horror!!! Is it any wonder that the children are particularly good this time of year? As this is the time of year that Gryla and her family, venture from their caves in the mountains, down to the farms, towns and cities.
Leppaludi, whose name means Ragamuffin, on the other hand is a pitiful specimen of a Troll. He according to some telling is Gryla’s third husband.
Her first husband was Gustur whose name means Gust, as in a gust of wind. His death is suspicious and there has been much speculation and talk about just how much of a hand in his death Gryla had. I shall not go into that here, I might frighten you away with just mentioning one of the theories that I have heard. Shivers and more shivers!!!
The second unfortunate husband was Boli his name translates into Bull. Boli did not resemble is name at all. He was a sickly Troll and it is said that he was bedridden for a Trolls age and that he faded away in his sleep.
Leppaludi is the Jolasveinar’s Father. He is slovenly Troll that wears torn and tattered rags, that have been patched numerous times, by whom remains a mystery. He is an uncouth slobbering slacker, who usually waits in the cave, for Gryla to bring unfortunate naughty children, for his dinner.
Today he ventured down from the mountains to check out the story Gryla told him, about how hard it is to find misbehaving children in this day and age. Leppaludi is afraid of Gryla’s wrath and did not want to contradict her story, so for once he roused himself and followed her, the Christmas Cat and the Jolasveinar down to civilization. At worst, he thought to himself I could go to Bæjarins Bestu and steal some Pylsur and Cokes.

  Posted by Picasa
  Posted by Picasa





















We are guests on Waking Ambrose, please stop by and visit. Gryla is swooning over what Doug said about her. Come over and visit, I can not be responsible for what Gryla and the Christmas Cat will do if you don't. Just a small warning....because you are important to me :)

Labels:


Posted by Mo'a :: 7:17 AM :: 15 Art Connoiseurs

15 Comments:

At 8:29 AM, Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Oh my goodness! Why did I never pass by here before? I love your art, and I am partical to mythology. I have just been reading and reading -- all the way down to Rachel's Spirit Trees, which truly are amazing.

I am so glad Doug had you as his guest today, or I still may have consi9dered myself too busy to stop by.

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Mo'a said...

It is so good to see you here quilldancer....and thank you for your compliments.
Rachaels's Spirit Trees have me in awe and I look at the trees around me even more closely now, never know who might appear.

Doug made me sound good even to myself....I must be careful today not to have my head swell too much :)

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Mo'a, my poor words are inferior to the purpose. Just think all the ways you can sculpt a swelled head. Thanks for today.

 
At 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow your dolls are beautiful!!

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Minka said...

hey, that gryla is less frightening in yoru portrayal than what I expect to come around the corner each day now :)

poor leppaludi, I bet he woudl be a gentle sort of fellow, if not attache dto teh wrong woman. I got my new clothes for Christmas, so the horrid cat won´t come and get me either:)

I think Gryla s almost pretty here!

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Mo'a said...

Doug: Thank you Doug, your words are never inferior....have you any idea how often your words send me to the Dictionary....*whisper*I am loving the attention and yes my head is swelling.....I will certainly have a model for that sculpt.

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Mo'a said...

Shashi: Thank you :) and thank you also for your visit.

Minka: I was affraid to make her the way I described her....just too frightening, I would not sleep nights having her in the house....perhaps I should go to OZ to get more courage.

I am glad that you have new clothes and I am assuming that is because you have been good :)
Let's go over to WA to talk in secret code :^)

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. the holidays must be terrifying for children growing up in Iceland... who knew there was so much potential danger? (still, ya gotta love the magical traditions, i know i do! i mean, isn't this the same country that re-routes highways in order to avoid hitting elves and/or gnomes? pretty darn cool, if you ask me...)

i LOVE this edition in your Jolasveinar series, it's such a treat to meet the parents. but tell me, what's Gryla's secret? i mean, THREE husbands? hmmmm. she must be doing something right...

these past many posts have been such a beautiful treat, Mo'a, in truth, all the Jolasveinar are spectacular! i've spent the entire day trying to catch up... and now that i am, i can't wait for tomorrow! oooh! and you did a fabulous guest turn at WA today... well done, my friend! *claps* xoxo

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Mo'a said...

There is a bonus for the modern child in Iceland....they receive a present in their shoe from each of the Jolasveinar.
But everything is balanced the good with the bad....very Nordic don't you think?
There is much magic in Iceland and believers.....yes, the very same...after all think of the carniage if they blasted those boulders. *shivers*
I will be introducing the Hidden People when the last of the Jolasveinars has arrived. :) More magic coming. Thank you Neva *bows*

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

WOW! Glad I made it over before knowing that Gryla would have been after my bohemian behind! Dios mio!

As for your work my dearest LovaMoa, beautiful!!!! I bow down before thee! BOW DOWN I say!

*sigh* 'Tis a sin I tell you, a SIN, that having icelandic blood no one has put gifts in my shoes! *sniff, sniff* Forlorn and forgotten, I drag myself away, weping tears of sorrow and pain, PAIN!

Oh well... *sigh*

 
At 12:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How wonderful to descend from a culture filled with such magic! I grew up in a place without such deeply steeped tradition and I hung on to the notion of Father Christmas until the other children mocked me.. I would have embraced the legend of the Jolasveinars wholeheartedly. Umm - care to adopt me?

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Mo'a said...

My dear MizBohemia, you have always been a good girl ;) and Gryla would not have been interested in you.

Oh no!!! Tell me it isn't true you have never had a gift in you shoe....*sniff* but never fear you are still part Icelandic and that should be worth something..xoxoxo from LovaMo'a

Coralie: It was wonderful to grow up with these traditions.....there were some hard times however, for some I am saying, not me......since I was such a good girl.....LOL....I have to admit that there were times when I was scared to death of Gryla and the Jolakottur.

Consider yourself adopted, you will feel very much at home here....lot's of art supplies and many stories and traditions to learn about.

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Debbie Schramer said...

I found your blog today and love your whimsical, charming creations! They make me think of walking in a the deep woods, discovering a wonderful fairy's hollow or hearing the graceful footsteps of a gentle deer. They are so old looking and filled with mystery.
I am enjoying visiting your blog and will return again.
I am an artist, too. You might like to see my fairy furniture and castles....
www.artmajeur.com/debbieschramer
http://beautiful-art.blogspot.com.
Thank you for your wonderful art!
Debbie Schramer

 
At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did my fear of Gryla keep me away? Well not exactly, sometimes life can get a little hectic even with the threat of Gryla hanging over one.

Wait til I show Tali and Julian! I am loving the whole folklore surrounding the Jolasveinar and will catch up all around. Such a magical treat and nicely done at Doug's the other day!

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Mo'a said...

Sunflower: Thank you for your visit...I left a comment on your blog. I think I May have some of your Fairy Furniture.....I will photograph it and post it in the new year.
You blog is magical and I have been lurking for several weeks now. I am in such a rush lately that I have hardly any time so I quickly read the blogs I like and go to the next....In the new year when I have more time I will be polite and leave comments :)

G: Thank you my dear....I know the rush around these days....I am hanging my head in shame over not leaving messages when I visit my favorite blogs :(
I know that you are aquainted with Gryla from a previous experience :)
I hope Tali and Julian won't be too affraid of Gryla, Leppaludi and the Christmas Cat.
I have e-mail on this site now I will E-mail you....are you going to your Mothers soon?

 

Post a Comment

Write, Speak, Create & take me back HOME!

-------------------------------------


Doll Maker and Artiste Extraordinaire


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com