Welcome

About Me

My Website

Favorite Blogs

Art Blogs

The Past

Current Posts

Visitors

Credits

Disclaimer

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Christmas Nostalgia

I am feeling rather nostalgic these days as it is close to Thanksgiving, to me that means Christmas preparations. Every year, I feel that I must create something just for Christmas. One year it will be making over a hundred Christmas cards, another year it will be crocheting snowflakes for the tree, then another year making fifty white origami cranes, and so it goes at least one big project each year. I think this all stems back to my childhood in Iceland, when my cousins and I would spend hours making Christmas cards and gifts for our parents and grandparents. Those were simpler days and a time I think back to with great fondness.
On my dresser, I have a photo of me holding my son, who was two at the time, at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, in front of the Icelandic Christmas Tree. I am wearing the Icelandic costume, and my son is wearing a velvet sailor suit, this was thirty years ago. Do little boys wear sailor suits these days? I wonder. I was a member of the Icelandic Association that created the the Christmas elves (Jolasveinar)and the Crochet Snowflakes.
I can’t resist showing you the photo of us, so here it is. My son is a young man now and I am more filled out and I noticed that I used to have two dimples LOL.
P.S. On December 12, I will post photos of my current Christmas project. I love a mystery :)


Posted by Mo'a :: 4:14 PM :: 3 Art Connoiseurs

3 Comments:

At 3:01 PM, Blogger Saumakona - eða þannig said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Saumakona - eða þannig said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Saumakona - eða þannig said...

Lovely photo of you and your son.
We used to make "jólasveinar" like that in your link at home when I was little. I have one that I made when I was 4 (with some assistance from mom and dad!).

(I removed 2 comments to make this one - it looked too silly with two!)

 

Post a Comment

Write, Speak, Create & take me back HOME!

-------------------------------------


Doll Maker and Artiste Extraordinaire


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com