Welcome

About Me

My Website

Favorite Blogs

Art Blogs

The Past

Current Posts

Visitors

Credits

Disclaimer

Monday, November 21, 2005

The Piano, Serendipity and Family Moments


Our upright piano is lying on it’s back, on an interesting contraption made for lifting heavy items off the floor. I was amazed, as I watched the piano tuner raise the piano up to working height, with one hand on a lever. I am in awe of what human beings, have devised over the years to make life easier and more interesting.
I have never seen the inside of a piano before, it is fascinating to see.
I was interested in the fact that there were all sort of disclaimers and advertisements inside,( you may have to use a magnifying glass, to be able to see it in the photo) that only the piano tuner would see years later, when the piano is in need of repair. The pins on our piano is being glued, with a special glue made just for this purpose, in hopes that it will keep it’s tune longer.

We wanted to have this work done before Christmas. In my minds eye, I see the family standing around the piano, my husband is playing the piano, we are all wearing red and green with smiles on our faces and singing Christmas Carols........or was this a scene from “White Christmas”?
One thing for sure we will give it a try, in our three family languages, English, Danish and Icelandic. We will have fun and laugh about the fact, that reality and the Hollywood version of reality is not the same, and come to the conclusion, that we like our reality.
As a child growing up in Iceland, one of my fondest and most treasured memories are of family and friends singing together at every gathering. We all knew the words and most all, could carry a tune. This past summer three of my cousins from Iceland came to visit and one evening after dinner, we went out to my Mother’s Gazebo to see the sunset , to have a conversation in our native language and say a skal (her is to you) or two. All of a sudden my male cousin started singing, my Mother, my two female cousins and I joined him, in the blink of an eye. The song we sang is about riding over the sands, as the sun is setting behind a mountain, hoping to be able to avoid highway men, that are probably lying in wait, and having fear of meeting the Queen of the Elves, on her night ride. We all love this song, as it is fun to sing, the first part is fast in the tempo of a man riding a horse, then there is a part where we almost whisper and in the end we raise our voices again, with the hope that we have almost reached our destination. Our voices blended in many songs that evening and my Father and Husband were charmed and talk about how magical the evening was. This, I think is what life is all about serendipitous moments, and the feeling of connection and love.
Our piano, it will be tuned and ready for Christmas magic. Sometimes one has to give serendipity a nudge.

One last, seldom seen, view of the piano.

Posted by Mo'a :: 11:37 AM :: 5 Art Connoiseurs

5 Comments:

At 7:38 AM, Blogger Greta Björg said...

I enjoyed this post very much, very interesting to see the insides of a piano and your explanation in English of the song "Á Sprengisandi"! Yes, it´s always very giving getting together to sing, lifts your spirits. (My family (on mother´s side) plays cards; but that´s fun too!)
I have always envied people who can play the piano. As a kid I was too shy to ask my parents to send me to have lessons. They mainly focused on my ability to draw, even though I was singing before I could talk!
Who in your family is Danish? You know, I´m part Danish, my grandmother on my fathers side was a Dane, hailing from Århus, so I´m always fond of everything Danish.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Mo'a said...

Thank you Greta. I am so happy that you could tell from my description that the son was"A Sprengisandi"
My son lives in Arhus and his kaerasta is Danish. They will be coming home for Christmas. We in our family also love everything Danish, my Mother's Great-grandmother was Danish and her sister had the same name as my son's kaerasta....serendipity again.

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Linda S. Wingerter said...

What a wonderful post! I'm so glad you have a blog now, Mo'a, so I can get to know you better. :)
hooray for blogs!
linda

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Mo'a said...

Thanks Linda, I am inspired by you and have been enjoyng your blogs. I love blogging, I think it is due to the story telling gene, I inherited from my Mother's side of the family. That part of the family tree boasts poets, writers and gosips LOL

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Greta Björg said...

Icelandic poets and writers? You have made me curious...!

 

Post a Comment

Write, Speak, Create & take me back HOME!

-------------------------------------


Doll Maker and Artiste Extraordinaire


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com