Welcome

About Me

My Website

Favorite Blogs

Art Blogs

The Past

Current Posts

Visitors

Credits

Disclaimer

Friday, September 29, 2006

Magda Watts Doll Artist

  Posted by Picasa

I feel honored that I am able to introduce you to Magda Watts an extraordinary woman and a doll artist that through her doll art has created miracles.

A short while ago I saw a letter on a doll makers list. . Here is what it said:

Hi Thank you to accept me As I am looking the wonderful works , I don't know if my dolls are acceptable because I am doing mostly Judaica dolls, But look my work, and you tell me Thank you magda watts

A flurry of letters from list members followed......we were all amazed by this wonderful artist and her story.
I myself was mesmerized by Magda’s stunning creations. I found myself going back to her web site again and again, taking in every detail and trying to decide which one of her dolls are my favorite.....impossible to say, how can I choose, they are all amazing.
I wrote Magda and asked her for permission to write about her in my blog.. She wrote me back and gave me permission. In exchanging e-mails with Magda I found out that she has a great sense of humor and a positive outlook.
Magda Watts grew up in Hungary until the age of 15, when she and all but one member of her immediate family were deported to Auschwitz. After 7 months in Auschwitz, Magda, along with her sister and other young girls and women in the concentration camp, was picked by the Siemen’s company as slave labor to make time bombs, in their factory in Nuremberg, which was officially a branch of the Flossenbeurg concentration camp.
Magda had suffered unbelievable atrocities, the murder of her parents in Auschwitz and the murder of her brothers and sisters. In Nuremberg she became infested with scabies and was restricted to staying in the "scabies hut". Sick, depressed, hungry and lonely she looked for something to keep herself occupied. She found some rags and from that she created a doll.
During the distribution of soup Magda said the supervisor, “Give me another portion for my baby” the supervisor said “Show me” she showed her the doll and was given an extra portion of soup in return for the doll. That was the beginning of Magda’s doll making career.
Word reached the SS about the talented teenage doll maker and they started bringing her material to make dolls for them. In return Magda was given extra rations that she shared with her sister and her friends and in this way she saved their lives.
In 1983 on a visit to Hungary the memories of the Holocaust started to haunt her mind. Returning to Israel still tormented by her memories of Auschwitz and Nuremberg, Magda as she had done 40 years prior, saved herself by turning to doll making. Since then she has made hundreds of dolls that have been exhibited in Israel, Germany, Hungary and The United States.
Jennifer Resnick made PBS Documentary about Magda’s life called “The Liberation of the Spirit”which was first televised in 1996.
Magda told me that she is self taught. Her medium is polymer clay and fabric.
All the personalities she creates are from her dreams, imagination and from her memories of the people and personalities she knew as a young, happy and carefree little Jewish girl in Hungary before the Holocaust.
Many of the props that go with her dolls are made by her, others such as the musical instruments and china pieces were bought in Chinatown in New York City.....sadly that store has closed down so now she looks for props on the Web.
Magda lives in Eilat Israel with her husband. They have two grown children and four grandchildren.
She is modest about her dolls and said to me “I don’t belong to no artist groups, because my dolls
look like between those beautiful dolls like a thorn in the touches”.
I cannot agree with her, I find her dolls the very embodiment of humanity, that is their beauty.
On her web site Magda said:
I think my life, even today, inspires many people to higher levels, to teach them to, Never Give Up! There is always hope of survival - even from the most terrible places.”

  Posted by Picasa

  Posted by Picasa

  Posted by Picasa

Labels:


Posted by Mo'a :: 10:33 AM :: 17 Art Connoiseurs

17 Comments:

At 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

can it be that i am first? and what a moving and beautiful post in which to be so!

Madga is indeed an inspiring woman... and i am in complete agreement with you, dear Mo'a, her work is breathtaking. i'm touched beyond words by her story, as well as by her stunning artwork, and i thank you for sharing them both! xoxo

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Minka said...

I don´t feel able to comment...there are tears running down my face, a horrendous sense of guilt choking my every thought....

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Mo'a said...

Niva: Nice that you are first :)it feels nice.
Magda is an inspiration to me....her beauty and sense of humor shine through her work....it is a great pleasure to share here with my friends.

Minka darling, I know how you feel I had the same reaction when I first heard her story and saw her work.

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Minka said...

Those are amazing dolls. So intricate work...youa re rigth a lot of her shines rigth through her creations.
Thank you for telling us about her!

 
At 8:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh Mo'a! just came back to tell you i linked to this amazing post in the Snark Park, and what do i find? a template change! or, at least a *banner* change. and i LOVELOVELOVE it *and* the fact that you're featuring your OWN remarkable work here... for all to see and appreciate! damn, you are one talented and oh-so-gifted--not to mention *beautiful* woman, dear friend. lovely! xoxo

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Mo'a said...

Minka my dear, it is good to see you back here. I agree with you she is amazing. The pleasure was mine.

Brian: I love Magda's spirit, she is very kind and funny.
It would be wonderful if we could right all the worlds wrong :).....we do have a lot to answer for....also to what is happening today :(...what are we doing over there and why?

Neva: Thank you my dear Neva, the traffic did pick up, not many comments though....oh! well.
Our MizB. worked on the banner and avitar for me....now there is an other amazing woman :) I though since I was changing direction the banner should be changed also.

 
At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post and amazing story, Mo'a. Thank you for sharing!

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Mo'a said...

Lana it is good to see you here, thank you for coming. She is amazing and made it so easy for me to write about her :)

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

I think one of the hardest things in life is for our minds to be able to grasp the duality of things... in this case how so much beauty can shine through and be created under such horrendous and gruesome and heartwrenching circumstances... Magda's story moved me to tears... my god what that woman has been through!

I avidly surfed her site and I LOVE her work! My fave piece is the paintress! Lil' BoheMia and I could not help but laugh when we saw her and just keep laughing because such is the energy of that piece!

And it takes one of amazing talent to recognize a kindred spirit and if an artist of your caliber is to recommend others, then we are all ears! FO SHO!!!

And thank you for the sweet words up above with regards to the banner... not much work on my end, composition this time was the work of Loverboy, who is yet another huge fan of your art, and the beauty of that banner is basically the amazing and breathtaking piece that is your art work, "The Awakening"...

Besos to you my sweet LovaMo'a and all of my love!

Me...

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Mo'a said...

MizBohemia: You have such a wonderful way with words. I am sure Magda will be interested in hearing how much you and Lil'BoheMia like her work.

I only have sweet words for you my dear MizB I don't know how I would have been able to do this blog without your help.....you make me look good :)

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Biene said...

what a life and what optimism to save oneself and family! I am stunned! O love the dolls, they are alive and each brings with them a history. Tahnk you for sharing them!
I also lika to start my blog again, but I have so little tima. And interesting things I do are on monikas blog too.
Regards Sabína

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger tsduff said...

You are blessed to have found Magda and shared her with all of us :-) What an amazing story - and her work shows the life she is filled with. Wow.

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Mo'a said...

Sabina: It is so good to hear from you. I look forward to reading your blog.
It is such a pleasure for me that I could tell show some of Magda's dolls and to tell her story.

Terry: I am so glad that you could see her story.....I am in awe of her work and her spirit.

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Kyahgirl said...

I am very moved by Magda Watts! thank you for introducing her Mo'a.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Mo'a said...

Kyahgirl: It was my pleasure to write about Magda.....her story and her work is amazing.

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Those are great dolls and the bottom one reminds me of a statue my mom bought a while back. The biography is even more splendid. People who save others' lives by art are the highest saints.

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger G said...

Mo'a - Thank you for finding and bringing Magda to us here. To say her story is one of inspiration is inadequate. Her dolls are exquisite and I will bookmark her place.

I told my mother-in-law about her. Eva is also a survivor of Auschwitz who survived by being the fast little worker and currying favor with the foreman and forewoman in the ammunitions factory where she and her sister were taken for forced slave labor. Her cousin, who is a survivor as well and was in forced labor in Volkswagen, tours and gives talks and has written several books. These woman are truly the salt of the earth. You will find none like them anywhere.

Again, sorry I've been a little preoccupied. I had read Magda's story when it first appeared and I just cried. She is such a story of hope. I'd like to get a hold of that documentary.

Thanks again dear mo'a - you are both amazing woman.

 

Post a Comment

Write, Speak, Create & take me back HOME!

-------------------------------------


Doll Maker and Artiste Extraordinaire


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com