Welcome

About Me

My Website

Favorite Blogs

Art Blogs

The Past

Current Posts

Visitors

Credits

Disclaimer

Monday, October 23, 2006

Bonnie Jones Doll Artist

  Posted by Picasa



  Posted by Picasa

A Halloween Witch by Bonnie Jones


Bonnie Jones lives in Natchez, Mississippi with her husband and a Scottish Terrier. She began her journey in the doll world making cloth dolls. Later she discovered polymer clay, that is when she felt that a whole new world had opened up for her . She now uses a range of clays from different polymer clays, which require firing, to some of the air dry clays. All of the costuming is designed and made by Bonnie. She searches for vintage fabric and trims in antique shops for the costumes, to give her dolls a unique look.
Along with her popular Santa Claus figures she creates other fantasy figures, such as faeries, wizards and mermaids. She has a line called “Holiday Collectibles” which consists of Folk Art pieces including figures for Halloween, that are featured here. Most of these pieces are sculpted from the air dry clays and painted with acrylics and then antiqued to give them an aged patina.
Although Bonnie is basically self-taught, she has taken classes with Jack Johnston and Barbara VanNoy who teaches skin texturing and hand-tied eyelashes. Barbara is considered to be her mentor and friend and someone who has given her the confidence to continue in this venture.
Bonnie Jones is one of the artists that I have met through the on line doll makers list. She is a doll artist that I admire, not only for her talent as a doll artist, but also for her ability and savvy when it comes to promoting herself and her art. Other doll artist would do well to take a page out of her book.
If you google Bonnie’s name you will find that she belongs to many internet groups. Here are some of the places you will find her art on the internet. This is her web site. Here she is the artist of the month. She can be found here on this links site. My clever friend can be found on a "Google Top Shopping List" under "Art Dolls". She is a member of the "Professional Doll Makers' Art Guild". Here she is a "Featured Artist" of the month October 2006, on the "Global Fantasy Dolls" web site and here and on "Homemade in America"
She is one of the artists that the "Santa Fanatic" collects.
Bonnie lives in Mississippi so naturally she would find a way to link herself on their web site They say on their site, "Let Us Be Your Guide For Finding Mississippi Business on The Web" clever woman. Do you wonder why I so admire her business savvy? She is a member of the "Electic Cottage" site, "Original Art and Craft Online". In September 2005 she was a "Froud Artist of The Month", very prestigious, the Frouds are the Holy Grail of fantasy art. I highly recommend that you visit their site. In November 2005 a featured artist on "Art Space 2000". She is on "Epilogue" and on "Primitive Folk Art Treasures of Today".
She has some of her Halloween figures on "Halloween Year Round".
She became a member of ODACA "Original Doll Artist Council of America" in July 2006. To become a member of ODACA one must present a portfolio, if the Membership/Standards Committee has accepted the applicant, after reviewing the CD that the Doll Artist has presented . Phase three is attending their annual convention ODACA Days and presenting three pieces of work. If the Standards Committee accepts the work, the applicant becomes a member.
On top of all this, Bonnie lists one or more of her pieces on ebay each week. She is now listing Halloween figures and will start listing her Christmas pieces, after Halloween

Bonnies work has been published in the following publications: "Contemporary Doll Collector", "Dolls", "Art Doll Quarterly", "The Crafts Report" ,"Country Roads", "Doll Crafter" and the new book "Christmas Dolls" by Joan M. Pursley.

Here is Bonnies Artist Statement:
I am passionate about creating one of a kind figurative art dolls. My love of art and music gave me the desire to create my own art, and the art doll gives me an arena to create pieces of art that evoke emotion. When I see someone smile or shed a tear while looking at my figures I know I have accomplished my endeavor. My journey in dollmaking or figurative sculpture has been so very satisfying, and I hope to continue along this path improving my skills and hopefully transferring my love of this art form to the person who decides to have one of my pieces in their life.

Feast your eyes are Bonnies Halloween creations. Enjoy and say hello to my friend and featured artist.
  Posted by PicasaWhimsical Halloween
  Posted by PicasaMr. Jinkles
  Posted by PicasaWitch on a Duck Gourd
  Posted by PicasaClose-up of Which on a Duck Gourd
  Posted by PicasaGoth Pumkinhead
  Posted by PicasaGoth Halloween
  Posted by PicasaWhite Witch

Labels:


Posted by Mo'a :: 3:45 PM :: 16 Art Connoiseurs

16 Comments:

At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Mo'a for writing about my art in your blog. I am so honored, especially since I have always admired you and your art.
Although we have never met in person, I truly consider you a friend.

What a great idea to write about individual artists so the world can see what we are all about.

Best regards,
Bonnie

 
At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bonnie: It is a great pleasure for me to write about people I admire. I also consider you a friend.....we must meet each other in person sometime soon :)

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger Mo'a said...

Bonnie: The comment above was from me.....Mo'a :)

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger G said...

Mo'a and Bonnie: I have a confession to make - I had no idea that dolls could be such works of art. I am embarrased by that fact, but bowled over at the same time by the beautiful dolls that you are showcasing Mo'a! And very grateful for the education I might add. Your works are at once whimsical yet beautiful and delicate. I've checked Bonnie's site and will look into the other links as well.

I would say that you have accomplished your journey in your Artist's Statement - I have a smile on my face looking at them.

Thanks Mo'a for showcasing another fine artist.

Best ~ G

 
At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my! another treat for the eyes here, dear Mo'a! thank you for introducing us to another fabulous artist... it's no wonder you admire Bonnie's work so much (nor is it a surprise to know she admires YOURS!)

i could SO buy that Goth Pumpkinhead. okay... i could SO buy any of these items... they are just amazing.

wonderful. absolutely wonderful!! xox

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Mo'a said...

G: That is why I do this....there are so many wonderful doll artists that the world needs to see.
Bonnie's art is amazaing and Bonnie is to me one of the cleverest of all my doll artist friends.
I am so glad that you are looking at her sites....there is much to see and learn.

Bonnie please feel free to reply to your new fans :)

Neva: The pleasure is all mine.....you are so welcome.
I am sure a sale could be arranged....right Bonnie. You have good taste Neva, that is also one of my favorite pieces....and you know I have good taste....after all you are a friend of mine....see friend...good taste :)

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Mo'a said...

Bonnie: Thank you for commenting. I am so happy to see that we have had 160 visitors in just three days.
You are a hit and well deserved I might add.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Kyahgirl said...

Mo'a, I'm really enjoying meeting the artists you are introducing to us. Bonnie's figures are very interesting. I especially like the white witch.

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

DAMN YOU BLOGGER! I had written a lengthy comment and the one time I did not save it, POOF, it was gone!

Dear LovaMóa... of the interesting friends you have my dear and what talent! Beautiful work... enchanting... breathtaking... I do love that white witch so! My kinda gal FO SHO!

You know, there is something deeply spiritual about art, especially one such beautiful as the dolls you ladies make... a connection to this universal energy is channeled and emotions, stories, energy, life, this tie humanity shares with each other, it all shines through in an absolutely breathtaking way that leaves me in awe and thinking "DAMMIT! How I wish I could do that!"

Thank you for such beautiful work... to the both of you... although forgive me all when I do declare myself always and forever partial to my dear LovaMóa whose pixie soul, Icelandic song that speaks to the blood in my veins that connects to that land I have yet to meet, manifests itself in such art that moves me beyond words...

And with that...

BoheMia OUT!

 
At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mo'a,

First, I'm glad I made my way over here today; Bonnie's work is remarkable. Very beautiful.

Second, I checked your profile -- You Medford? Me Moorestown! With an office in Marlton! So, in Joisey, we've got most of the M's around Exit 5 covered! Small world, this here Internet, huh?

Nice meeting you, and, through you, Bonnie and her wonderful work.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Mo'a said...

Kyahgirl: I ever so happy that I am able to share my fellow artists here.
Can't you just see determination and movement when you look at Bonnie's White Witch?......Brilliant Bonnie :)

MizBohemia: Yes, Blogger has been rather trying lately....but we will stay.....right?
I am indeed blessed with many interesting and artistic friends....*whisper* and Bonnie is one of my all time favorites....art flows through her very being....her Daughter the "Gourd Queen" has inherited talent from her Mother. Here is her link http://www.picturetrail.com/gourdqu
een
I love the way you describe art and the art of the doll in particular...may I borrow/steal your paragraph on that?
*LovaMo'a blushes* I am sure Bonnie takes no offence :) Pixie soul, Icelandic song....I love that :) Project: Getting MizB. to Iceland to introduce her to her Icelandic heritage :)

Al formerly known as "a" : Happy to see you here.
Hmmmmmm, so you work and live in my back yard. So when are you going to start a blog, so that you can help me in singing NJ's praises?
The pleasure is all mine.....I like to spread the word and what better way than introducing my friends to Bonnie and her art?

 
At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love everything about New Jersey, except the taxes of course.

Actually, our house here in Moorestown is on the market (been here since 1976), and, now that the kids are grown and out, we're heading for New York for a while. That is, while we can still climb stairs, walk, and run a little, when necessary, from muggers.

Our grandkids are here, in Burlington County, so we'll be back often, and maybe permanently in a few years.

P.S. I loved the face on the Witch on a Duck Gourd. Very expressive, and an engaging Mona-Lisa-style expression, too. Thanks again for showcasing Bonnie's art.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger G said...

Hello Al & Mo'a: My mother (along with some other family) lives in Marlton!

Mo'a: I just had a disconnect and was associating Medford with Northern New Jersey! That's it, next time I visit my Mom, I'm calling you!!!

Small world.

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Mo'a said...

Al: NYC that is great and a good way to escape NJ taxes LOL....New York is one of my favorite places in the world. My son lived there for 8 years.....we got to know the city quite well through him.
New Jersey.......esp. Mt.Holly, where my parents live.....has been a big part of my life and a place we always visited no matter where we lived.....lived in 10 places in 5 states in the last 35 years :)

Bonnie: The compliments are well deserved. I have been away from Paperclay for such a long time and I have an itch in my hands to get back to it.
I look forward to seeing you blog....*whisper* you will meet the nicest people and you already have a number of fans here :)
Someday I would like to write about your Daughter....perhaps a feature next year's Halloween week.

G: Small world indeed....Wow!!!!this will be good news to Paloma....e-mail me and I will send you my phone#......and girlie I expect more than a phone call....bring chocolate cake, and Neva and I will take you to the Red Barn to get Apple Pie.....I am so excited :))))

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Minka said...

Amazing, I am always reminded that I lack all these artistic qualities . I adore teh way you can shape, picture and form such amazing details. I just love teh first picture of the pumpkin...just amazing!

 
At 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great article on such a super lady. I am fortunate to own one of Bonnie's pieces and he makes me smile whenever I look at him.

 

Post a Comment

Write, Speak, Create & take me back HOME!

-------------------------------------


Doll Maker and Artiste Extraordinaire


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com