Welcome

About Me

My Website

Favorite Blogs

Art Blogs

The Past

Current Posts

Visitors

Credits

Disclaimer

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Stekkjastaur.....Stiff-legs and Jolasveinar


The first to arrive is Stekkjastaur.....Stiff-legs, he sneaks into the sheep shed, hoping to milk one of the ewes, for his favorite drink. The sheep startled,jump and tumble about the shed. Stekkjastaur legs after his long walk from his mountain home are stiff and aching, so the sheep are able to get away.
Poor Stekkjastaur will have no milk today.


Today December 12th is a big day in Iceland, the first of the 13 Jolasveinar, variously called Yule Goblins, Christmas Men, Christmas Elves or Christmas Lads, arrives down from the mountains.
Today's arrival is named Stiff-legs then comes Gully-gawk, Stubby, Spoon-licker, Pot-scraper, Bowl-licker, Door-slammer, Skyr-gobbler (Skyr is like yogurt) Sausage-swiper, Window-peeper, Door-sniffer, Meat-hook, and on the 24th, Christmas Eve, the last but not the least, Candle-beggar. Then they leave for the mountains one by one, the last one leaving on 12th night, January 6th.
These charmers were first mentioned in print in the 17th century and were known by various names which differ from region to region, with up to 80 names recorded.
Most of the names reflect the tricks they played. They coveted things people found hardest to do without during the lean times and the blackest Artic nights, food and light.
Their parents were real charmers, their names are Gryla (Ugly) and Leppaludi(one who wears tattered clothes). It was said that Gryla and Leppaludi liked to feast on misbehaving children and were used as bogeymen to terrify children into obedience. The family pet was an enormous Black Cat who had the same culinary habits as Gryla and Leppaludi.The children of today, do not have to worry about Grila's, Leppaludi's and the Cat's former culinary habits, as they now probably prefer a Pizza or a Hamburger with a Coke.
In the 20th century the 13 Jolasveinar have mellowed and evolved from bogeymen into benevolent beings. They are now entertainment for, and friends to children. Each night when the children go to bed they leave their shoe on the window sill. If they have been good, they will recive a gift from each of the Jolasveinar, as they arrive from their mountain home. If they have been bad, they will find a potato in
their shoe.

Labels:


Posted by Mo'a :: 7:23 AM :: 14 Art Connoiseurs

14 Comments:

At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my...he's wonderful! thank you for your sweet sentiments on my new little one...and stopping by.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Lea said...

Mo'a!!! I LOVE him!!! I'll leave a little cup of milk out for him tonight!!! I am amazed at the facial expressions you've done here, and I think I feel the stiffness in his legs!!! Thank you so. I so look forward to the rest of those coming down from the mountain!

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Nessa said...

He is so cute. I love when you do this.

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Karen Cole said...

Mo'a

So wonderful to hear from you!!!

I have thought of you often lately....thinking about your stories of Iceland at Xmas and all of the different Santas.

I will be sure to check in and see what stories you have to tell.

Thanks so much for your kind comments!!

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Hurray for Jola season! It's the most loveliest time of the year.

Tell me: When did it become necessary for children's fantasy mates to be benevolent. I loved trolls and things that ate people.

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Linda Fleming said...

Mo'a, it is so good to see you blogging again, I am glad you are feeling better.
How fun that you making the Jolasveinars and their stories an annual Chistmas tradtion on your blog. I enjoyed it so much last year, and look forward to reading about these delightful characters again!

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Mo'a said...

Annie: Thank you :) I have enjoyed your blog for a long time. Your new little one is precious.

Lea: You are so kind...he will appreciate the milk...is sheep milk :?

Nessa: ...and I love sharing :)

Karen: Not many have met some of them and their Father in person as you have.
It is so good to be back and reading my favorite blogs.

Doug: I second that!!! I know Children have become so protected...I also love trolls and things that ate people/naughty children...they now eat Pizza and Hamburgers with Coke...what is the world coming to?

Linda:Thank you my dear :) I love sharing my art and the Icelandic traditons...very selfish of me :)

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

Mo'a,

He is beautiful! Such character in his woolly little face!

I'll be coming back to snoop around; your dolls are so interesting.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your ice comment.

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Mo'a said...

Leslie: Welcome, it is so nice to see you here.
Thank you for your compliment on my dolls.

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

It's a sad and sorry mess. If I had kids, I would totally eat them.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger rachael said...

I'm so glad you are doing this again Mo'a - I love these guys. Mine is of course my favorite but his brother here is pretty awesome too.
Glad you are back to posting & Happy Holidays. Enjoy the season with your new baby angel.

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Mo'a said...

Doug: Are you Irish?

Rachael: It is so much fun for me.
Is your little guy behaving himself or is he frightening the sheep?

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger rachael said...

Mo'a
confession - we frighten the sheep together
but it's just for fun 'cause I give him all the milk he wants

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Mo'a said...

Rachael: I knew you two would be a perfect pair.

 

Post a Comment

Write, Speak, Create & take me back HOME!

-------------------------------------


Doll Maker and Artiste Extraordinaire


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com