Welcome

About Me

My Website

Favorite Blogs

Art Blogs

The Past

Current Posts

Visitors

Credits

Disclaimer

Monday, October 01, 2007

Elinrós Eyjólfsdóttir Icelandic Artist



I have known her all my life, she is my cousin. She is nine months older than I am...she will just love that I am telling you that ;] Her name is Elinrós Eyjólfsdóttir,Ella for short. Elinrós was named for our Grandmother, Elinrós...such a beautiful name.
We have been friends all our life. At one time we lived only doors away from each other. Now we live an ocean apart, however, we see each other at least once a year, either here in the US or in Iceland. Each time we meet it is like we have never been apart. We love to talk about Art and our Art Journey.
In the 1980's Ken and I lived in Saratoga Springs, NY where Ella and I spent several summers at Skidmore College at the same time, Ella in the Painting Department and I in the Sculpting and Ceramics Department. We attended many art lectures together and talked about the art we had seen and art we would like to create...Those were lovely times.
When we were little girls growing up in Iceland, along with her four sisters, brother and our cousins, we would make art together. One big project each year was making Christmas cards. Those were wonderful times, that I remember fondly.
We love and admire each others art and abilities. I am delighted that I am able to introduce my cousin, my friend and fellow artist Elinrós Eyjólfsdóttir.

Elinrós has been creating all her life. When we were growing up in Iceland all young girls learned the Domestic Arts, knitting, sewing and cooking. We were taught by our Mothers and Grandmother and in our Schools ...Ella excelled and became proficient in whatever she set out to create.

She became interested in Porcelain Painting and in the summers of 1978 to 1981 she took private lessons at Studio Glee, in Dowling, Colorado.



Elinrós became interested in furthering her art education in 1982 -1985 she attended Myndlistaskólinn í Reykjavík(Reykjavik School of Visual Art) and from 1982 to 1987 she attended the Myndlista og Handíðaskóli Íslands (The Icelandic College of Arts and Crafts) now know as Listaháskóli Íslands (The Iceland Academy of the Arts)
where she earned her Art Degree.
She has also studied art Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs, NY seven summers from 1986 to 1995. In Copenhagen, Denmark in 1988 and in Italy in 1997.
Elinrós has had 14 One Woman Shows and has been in 10 Group Shows of which 3 were in the US and one in the UK.




There have been numerous articles written about her and her art in Icelandic Publications and various Foreign Publications.








Ella’s art can be purchased in Gallerí Lind in Iceland and on the web. Her Son and Daughter-in-law own the Gallery. Please make sure you check out their web site...it is a great site not only to see Ella’s art but also a great sampling of other Icelandic Art.

Posted by Mo'a :: 12:43 PM :: 21 Art Connoiseurs

21 Comments:

At 7:56 AM, Blogger Karen Cole said...

What a beautiful introduction, Mo'a.

Your friend does beautiful work.

I am very much looking forward to our get together tomorrow.

-Karen

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Linda Fleming said...

I see that the artistic gene runs through your family! I enjoyed reading about your cousin and the love of art that you share with her. Her work is beautiful.

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Erla Erlingsdóttir said...

Dásamlegt !!
This is so feminine and so beautiful.
Greetings from me to Elínrós.
Take care Móa.

 
At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mo'a,
How lovely to be so close to your cousin Ella, and so alike. Isn't it great? Her work is beautiful. Maybe she can meet Erla. Can she come tomorrow?

See you then.

Constance

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Wow, talent sure seems to run in families. My own family proves it by universally having none. The painting of the house n the coast is fantastic.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Minka said...

I have heard of her, and if I am not entirely mistaken a Swedish Friend of mine bought one of her pieces. I am gonna ask him. I second Doug....your family sure is enchanting :)

 
At 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so wonderful that you had a fellow artist in the family. It's obvious that you are very proud of her, Mo'a. I'll definitely take a look at the gallery.

 
At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glorious! My Godmother is a porcelain painter I am going to send her your link.

 
At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Mo'a said...

Karen: Thank you, I love Ella's work and it was easy to talk about her and her art.

Linda: Yes and we are only the tip of the iceberg...no pun intended ;]
I agree with you about her work and as I said to Karen it is easy to talk about what you love.

Erla: It is dásamlegt...she is a very feminine lady and it reflects in her work.

Constance: We are realy like sisters. Perhaps I can introduce her to Erla next time I am in Iceland.

Doug: So it seems...we have quite a few artists in our family...as I said we are only the tip of the iceberg.
I love it also...but you first...I hear it is for sale ;)

Monika: I am sure you have...it would be interesting to hear if your Swedish friend has one of her paintings...let me know.

Susanna: I am indeed proud of her...she has a lot of talent.

Corey: Wonderful! I welcome your Godmothers visit...I love the photos of her home...I would love to see one of her painted pieces.

 
At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, the talent run through the family. What a lovely cousin you have.. I love that you and your cousins did art projects together. So fun!!! xxo

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Mo'a said...

Vanessa: I think so...my son is also an artist :)
We had a fun childhood together with her siblings and our cousins.

 
At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such beauty - I will definately check out her site. Yours is beautiful. :)

Peace

Miz Nix

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Britt-Arnhild said...

Oh, this is such beautiful art.

(My brother and his family live in Reykjavik ;-))

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger tsduff said...

Mo'a!!! Your cousin Ella's art is fabulous!!! The white roses are exquisite - I'm so amazed at the talent... I had to blow up the picture to examine it to see if it was a photo. What talent runs in your family. I would like to visit the gallery next time I'm in Iceland... I'll hit you up for directions. WOW! I would love to have the icy volcano on my livingroom wall. Wonderful post.

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

how talented you all are..i love the paintings...icelandic artists' rock...blessings, rebecca

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Gypsy Purple said...

Thanks so much for your wonderful comment....I`m glad to be back....missed you all and can`t wait to see al the new posts and wonderful things

Yes...grandchildren is wonderful...my life is so much richer

Gypsy

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Mo'a said...

Miz Nix: Welcome. I agree with you...her site is wonderful. Thank you :)

Britt-Arnhild: When you go visit your Brother you should check out Galleri Lind.

Terry: The white rose is my favorite also...I covet it :)
The painting of the mountain is Keilir and it can be seen from the Airport in Keflavik...it is awailable in Galleri Lind :)

Rebecca: Welcome. Ella has talent coming out of every finger...Icelandic Art does indeed rock :)

GypsY: Congratulations proud Grandma :) It is nice to see that you are back.

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger tsduff said...

You mean that little tiny volcano that sits all by its lonesome? Wow. Now I covet it. OH! There is one in summer too... now I can I decide?

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger G said...

What a talented family you have, Mo'a. Your cousin's work is beautiful and I love her workspace. It's all just breathtaking.

I must say that learning these domestic arts early on is brilliant. I am woefully not adept as I was not taught when I was younger. Hopefully, it is skipping a generation as Tali is knitting and learning these things from Grandma. It's a shame not to pass it on.

Thank you for introducing this beautiful work here. Hope you are well, dear Mo'a.

 

Post a Comment

Write, Speak, Create & take me back HOME!

-------------------------------------


Doll Maker and Artiste Extraordinaire


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com