Welcome

About Me

My Website

Favorite Blogs

Art Blogs

The Past

Current Posts

Visitors

Credits

Disclaimer

Monday, December 05, 2005

Family Christmas


Yesterday, Ken (my husband) and I helped my parents decorate their Christmas Tree. As we unwrapped the decorations , I noticed that some were in their original gift boxes, with neatly written dated labels, describing, who had given them to my parents. Mother told us about the decorations she had bought and the reason she had bought them. Occasionally she would say, remember when you gave me this one, or I remember when you made this one. As we sipped on our first glass of eggnog this season, we shared our memories of Christmases past and rejoiced in the fact that we had all been together for Christmas every year, since Ken and I married, with the exception of two. The time my Father was in the hospital, although we spent most of our time there with him. And another Christmas, when just after graduating from college, our son spent Christmas in England, where he was working at the time. He called us three times Christmas Eve, the third time at exactly 6pm our time.
We start our celebration at 6pm Christmas Eve, by listening to a tape of the bells of Reykjavik, announcing the start of the season and a choir singing our favorite Icelandic hymn. We say Gledileg Jol (Merry Christmas) to each other and start the our Icelandic celebration. For dinner we have hangikjot (smoked lamb) potatoes and peas in white sauce, and red cabbage. For desert we have rice pudding with one almond, whoever gets the almond receives and extra gift......usually marzipan. Christmas day is our American version of Christmas, starting with a big breakfast and the Christmas stockings. We cook a big meal together, listen to music, read our new books, watch our favorite Christmas movie and end the day full of joy and to much good food. This year we will have a new member in our family, our son’s Danish sweet heart, and without doubt new traditions will be created. I love Christmas :)

Posted by Mo'a :: 1:43 PM :: 2 Art Connoiseurs

2 Comments:

At 4:24 AM, Blogger Greta Björg said...

Nice...

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger tsduff said...

I am amazed at reading your blog - listening to you describe the customs I've so recently begun to celebrate myself is wonderful. Hangikjot is my favorite food on the face of the planet, along with Hardfiskar. I was looking at the Jolasveinar and wondering where on earth did you find such cute ones... then I saw that you actually MADE them! I'm just blown away at their perfection. I want some! My Icelandic "Mom" Gully (my Sweetie's Mom) is teaching me all about Iceland. I posted some info about the Jolasveinar around Christmas time, feeling quite proud of my limited knowledge of them. Anyway, I'll be browsing through your blog and I'm so happy you stopped by mine. Nice to meet you!

 

Post a Comment

Write, Speak, Create & take me back HOME!

-------------------------------------


Doll Maker and Artiste Extraordinaire


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com