Welcome

About Me

My Website

Favorite Blogs

Art Blogs

The Past

Current Posts

Visitors

Credits

Disclaimer

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Update On The Bionic Woman

Today marks three months since my knee replacement operation. It has been a long and interesting road.
Starting with being on the operating table, and after having been given a spinal and a good feeling Twilight drug, seeing men and women in space suits hovering around the table talking about, things I did not understand. Later hearing sawing and saying to anyone that would listen, “Are they sawing my bone or the prosthetic” then nothing, I guess they gave me more of the” Twilight” stuff. Then I noticed that all was quiet and waved my left hand behind me and said “Is anyone there” Someone said “They are finishing up now” I then said “Are they sewing me or using stables", then nothing again. I guess they did not want a chatter box asking questions, when there was serious work to attend to.
Next thing I knew was in the recovery room very cold and shaking. The nurse was saying “Don’t worry everything is OK, we will wrap you in a blanket to warm you up” then she said “The doctor ordered more pain killer” I did not know I was in pain, apparently I had been complaining earlier.
Then I was in my room very comfortable in a slight codeine fog, with my family smiling and telling me that I was very brave. The three days in the hospital is a distant memory.......to bad really, as I was in a very nice private room with a view. I do however remember that I was up on my feet the day after the operation for just a moment and the two physical therapists saying “She is going to faint, her lips are white”. Then the blood transfusion.
I have told all about the Physical Rehabilitation Center and Nurse Crachet in another post, so I shall not go into that here, if you care to refresh your memory click here.
Now the fun starts I am back home and got sick, you read more about that, if you are curious, by clicking here.
Once I started at Star Physical Therapy, progress came in leaps and bounds. Good days and bad days but thankfully mostly good ones. I can walk without a cane inside and outside, except for the times I go into a store or, where there are a lot of people apt to walk into me and knock me down....I am very afraid of falling......I have been told by those, who are in the know, that this is normal. There are fewer times when I walk like someone out of the movie “The Night of the Living Dead”. I try to walk as a normal person would, bend my knees as I walk and have my arms comfortably swing at my side. That is quite a challenge, I can tell you.
This is my last week of physical therapy, next a personal trainer.....my upper-body has been woefully neglected, I intend to remedy that.
One of my neighbors walks with me everyday during the week, she is very patient with me and leaves it up to me how far we walk and our walks are getting longer each day.
I go to lunch with friends, attend our neighborhood book club meetings....that are really eating and drinking parties, and just today I went to my knitting club meeting......and yes, we do knit, along with eating good and fattening treats.
My only challenge at this time is getting into and out of chairs that either have no arms or are low. I have the getting down just about licked however, the getting up still entails much thinking and or help.
I have been without pain pills for three weeks now.....that does not mean the pain is completely gone just that it is bearable and intermittent.
If you ask me whether I would do this all again, the answer is a resounding yes, as there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I will be Dancing in Denmark in July :) and wearing sandals with kitten heals as soon as I find them.

Posted by Mo'a :: 4:13 PM :: 9 Art Connoiseurs

9 Comments:

At 8:29 PM, Blogger Biene said...

Hi! What dance will you dance?

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Kyahgirl said...

You are a determined and courageous woman!

Enjoy your shoe shopping!! :-)

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger tsduff said...

You sound as though you are through the worst of it, and are just barreling your way down to the wedding in Denmark! Great progress - and an inspiration to me if I ever need knee replacement! Those pain pills are a real "pain"... they make me barf so I can't really take them. I'm so glad you are healing Mo'a :-)

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

LovaMo'a, you are absolutely amazing! I am glad the hardest part of it all is behind you and that time is doing nothing but taking you closer to a merry time of weddings and dancing and Denmark! How delightful! You deserve it!

Here's to much continued healing!

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Mo'a said...

biene: I will start with the Mother of the Groom Dance....anyway I will dance with the groom :)
Khyagirl: Thank you. I will go out next week as that is when I will start driving again.....wow it will be fun....shoes rock.
Terry: I hope you will not need knee replacement, but if you do go for it, it is worth it.
*whisper* I don't remember much about those codeine laced pills....the fog was rather annoying LOL
MizB: Yes indeed the worst is over...now it is planning for the big party we are having here in the US for the young couple and buying a new wardrobe for the trip to Denmark and Iceland....los 25 pounds during recovery :)
Thank you for your good wishes.

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Saumakona - eða þannig said...

Það er sumardagurinn fyrsti í dag -
Gleðilegt sumar, Móa!

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Mo'a said...

Takk Greta og til thin lika.

 
At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my husband (joel) had knee surgery several years ago, but we're wondering if there will come a time when he, to, will have to have the knee replaced.

i'm so happy to know you're healing well! had i known you earlier, i would have suggested 2 things prior to having surgery:

1. bellruth naperstek (she does amazing guided imagery--i listened to one of her cd's before/during/after surgery on my wrist last year, and i know it reduced my down time significantly!)

2. arnica montana: one of those things you take to reduce swelling/bleeding/bruising.

stay well--i'll look forward to reading about your dancing adventures! and i'll let ya know if i spy any cute sandals with kitten heels (i'm looking for a pair, myself, cuz i never plan to wear anything high again!) i check this site frequently, 'cuz they often have great and/or unusual shoes (that link will take you straight to their sandals)! : D

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Mo'a said...

I hope Joel will not need knee replacement but if he does, I highly reccoment it.
I will google arnica montana....sure could use it as I still have bouts of swelling.
Thank you for the url for the shoes....I think kitten heels are ever so cute and yes in their own way sexy ;)

 

Post a Comment

Write, Speak, Create & take me back HOME!

-------------------------------------


Doll Maker and Artiste Extraordinaire


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com